- PhD, Civil Engineering, Politechnika Warszawska, Warsaw, Poland, 1975
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Politechnika Warszawska, Warsaw, Poland, 1970
- Auburn University, Professor and Chair, 2013–present
- Auburn University, Elton & Lois G. Huff Eminent Scholar Chair, 2013–present
- University of Nebraska, RobertW.BrightfeltProfessor of Engineering, 2005–2013
- University of Michigan, Professor, 1990-2004
- University of Michigan, Associate Professor, 1984-1990
- University of Michigan, Assistant Professor, 1979-1984
- State University of New York at Buffalo, NY, Assistant Professor, 1978-1979
- University of Waterloo, Canada, Research Associate, 1976-1978
Current Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI)
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Polish Academy of Sciences – Civil Engineering (PAN)
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (ACI), 1996
- Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1996
- Fellow of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
- HonoraryProfessor of Politechnika Warszawska, 1996
- HonoraryProfessor of Politechnika Krakowska, 2002
- Canadian Society of Civil Engineering, Casimir Gzowski Medal for paper on Calibration, 2009
- ASCE Moisseiff Award for the paper on Calibration of LRFD Bridge Code, 1997
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Michigan, 1990
- Bene Merentibus Medal, Politechnika Warszawska, 2005
- Orderof Polonia Restituta by President of Poland, 2014
- Emeritus Member of the Transportation Research Board, 2014
- Member, NCAT Board of Directors, 2014–present
External to Auburn University
- TRB Committee on Long Term Bridge Performance, member, 2011-present
- Voting Member, ACI-ASCE Committee 343 Concrete Bridges, 1982–present
- Voting Member, ACI Committee 348 Safety of Structures, 1982–present
Most Important Publications and Presentations (Last 5 years)
- Ghasemi, S. and Nowak, A.S., “Reliability Analysis for Serviceability Limit State of Bridges Concerning Deflection Criteria”, Structural Engineering International, No. 2/2016, pp.168-175
- Nowak, A.S. and Pipinato, A., “Loads on Bridges”, Chapter in “Innovative Bridge Design Handbook”, ed. Pipinato, A., Elsevier, New York, pp. 21-35, 2016.
- Ghasemi, S., Pour-Rouholamin, M., Nowak, A. and Zhou, H., “State-of-the-Art Model to Evaluation Space Headway Based on Reliability Analysis”, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 1943-5436, March 2016
- Yanaka, M., Nowak, A.S. and Ghasemi, S.H., “Reliability-Based and Life-Cycle-Cost Oriented Design Recommendations for Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders, Structural Concrete Journal of fib, (to appear).
- Rakoczy, A.M., Nowak, A.S. and Dick, S., "Fatigue Reliability Model for Steel Railway Bridges”, Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, March 2016.
- Rakoczy, A.M. and Nowak, A.S., "Resistance Factors for Lightweight Concrete Members”, American Concrete Institute Journal of Structures, Vol. 111, No. 1, Jan-Feb. 2014, pp. 103- 111.
- Rakoczy, A.M. and Nowak, A.S., " Reliability-based strength limit state for steel railway bridges”, Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, September 2013, pp. 1-14
- Nowak, A.S. and Rakoczy P., "WIM-Based Live Load for Bridges", KSCE Journal of Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 3, April 2013, pp. 568-574
- Nowak, A.S. and Rakoczy A.M., "Uncertainties in the Building Process ", Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Vol. 61, Issue 1, 2013, pp. 129-135
- Rakoczy, A.M. and Nowak, A.S., "Reliability-Based Sensitivity Analysis for Prestressed Concrete Girder Bridges”, PCI Journal, Prestressed/Precast Concrete Institute, Vol. 58, No. 4, Fall 2013, pp. 81-92
- Nowak, A.S. and Collins, K.R., "Reliability of Structures", 2nd Edition, CRC Press, New York, 2013.
- Rakoczy, A.M. and Nowak, A.S., "Resistance Model of Lightweight Concrete Members”, ACI Journal of Materials, Vol. 110, January 2013, pp. 99-108
- Nowak, A.S., Rakoczy P. and Sheikh Ibrahim, F.I., "Proposed Load Combination Factors for Bridges with High Dead-to-live Load Ratios ", Bridge Structures Journal, 8, 2012, pp. 61-66
- Nowak, A.S., Rakoczy, A.M. and Szeliga, E., "Revised Statistical Resistance Models for R/C Structural Components", American Concrete Institute, SP-284, March 2012, pp. 6-1 - 6-16.
- Nowak, A.S and Rakoczy, A.M., “Statistical Model for Compressive Strength of Lightweight Concrete”, Architecture, Civil Eng., Environment ACEE Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2011, pp. 73- 80.
- Nowak, A.S and Rakoczy, A.M., “American Codes, Standards and Specifications”, Scientific Publications No. 276, Rzeszow University of Technology, Vol. 58, No. 3, 2011, pp. 187-202.
Recent Professional Development Activities
- Regularly participate in technical committee activities and attend technical sessions at TRB, ACI and AASHTO events.